I was talking with a friend who is pregnant and was wondering whether to quit her job or not, if being a SAHM ever gets boring and I started thinking how different my life is now and how being a mom is not at all what I expected! After being a nanny for several years I thought I would have this mom thing down, I couldn't have been more wrong! When you watch someone elses kids, you just aren't as emotionally involved-even if you love them it is so different with your own child. So how has being a mom changed me? Lets, see where do I start.
1. I never knew I could love someone so much! The amount of joy that Preston has brought to my life is unfathomable, words can't describe it!
2. I am no longer OK with some of my not so good personality traits. For example, I think of myself as a pessimist-I always see the glass half empty and I have always accepted this as part of who I am-but now I want to change because I don't want Preston to grow up with a negative mom or always put a negative spin on things in life.
3. I try to be more prepared-running errands are not as easy.
4. I have to budget more wisely-I no longer can buy shampoo for $20.
5. I am more thrifty, I now use every last drop of my shampoo, and toothpaste, and face wash.
6. I've been pooped on, peed on and thrown up on.
7. I cherish the time I get to sleep, and depend on coffee more:)
8. And the hardest lesson, that I am in the process of learning is that Preston is not mine, he belongs to God, and that I am not immune to anything bad happening to him. Suddenly I am very aware of how temporary our lives on this Earth are. I am reminded of an old hymn that I used to sing growing up, "I am but a stranger here, heaven is my home." God wants us to long for heaven and yearn to be with Him, He has taught me that He uses circumstances like death, sickness and so on to make us yearn for Him-to yearn for new bodies that don't hurt, to long to be with loved ones again. To have a longing so intense that our soul faints, and our heart and flesh cry out to him. This is from psalm 84. I am thankful for this season of happiness that I am in, because I know that it is just a season.
My life has changed in many ways, these are just a few. What are some of the biggest ways your life has changed by being a mom?